The cheesemarket Alkmaar 2010 will take place from April 2nd untill september 3rd, every friday from 10 am untill 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.
Thousands of visitors from all over the world visit Alkmaar for its cheese market, a particular spectacle which includes a market filled with cheese and hauling cheese carriers. The cheese market has taken place on the Waagplein in Alkmaar since 1593. Program (subject to confirmation):
- 09.50: Welcoming the visitors
- 09.55: Introduction of the bell-ringer
- 10.00: The bell is rung and the market is opened
- 10.05 - 10.50: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French
- 10.50 - 11.15: Performance by the carillon
- 11.20 - 12.05: Verbal presentation to visitors, in Dutch, German, English and French
- 12.15 - 12.45 : Performance by the carillon
- 12.30: Cheese Market closes
There are a number of museums in the city in addition to the cheese museum:
- Alkmaar municipal museum, Canadaplein 1. Learn all there is to know about the history of the city and its surroundings.
- De Boom” beer museum, Houttil 1; located in a former 17th century brewery, this museum also accommodates a public house.
- Dutch Kachelmuseum (heater museum), Bierkade 10: admire 75 heaters from the period between 1900 until today in the Dutch heater museum at the Bierkade.